The Built Environment includes all the physical structures engineered and built by people. These structures include homes, workplaces, road systems, open space and parks, schools, stores, and transit arrangements. How a community is designed can either encourage or discourage physical activity. With a healthy community design, residents are able to participate in physical activity and help combat health issues such as obesity, heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and asthma.
The Health and the Built Environment Committee was established in 2006 to enhance the knowledge of public officials and community stakeholders about the health impacts of urban planning and transportation infrastructure. Committee initiatives focus on drafting letters of support, contacting officials, and presenting to various stakeholder groups, detailing the relationship between our built environment and our community’s health. In addition, the Committee coordinates with businesses, non-profit organizations, local government and individuals to identify and apply for grant funding to address barriers to physical activity and improve access to healthy foods and recreation areas.
- To increase awareness of the relationship between the built environment and the community’s health.
- To support policies that promote incidental physical activity and access to healthful foods.
- To foster collaborations between organizations and act as a catalyst for an environment that supports a healthier Miami-Dade County.
The Health and the Built Environment Committee meets every second Tuesday of each month at AIA Miami Center for Architecture and Design, 100 NE 1st Ave, Miami, FL 33132 from 9:30 – 11 a.m.
Chair: Karen Hamilton, South Florida Regional Planning Council
Vice-Chair: Cheryl Jacobs, Miami Center for Architecture & Design
Liaison: Ray Nellissery at Ray.Nellissery@flhealth.gov or call (305) 234-5400, ext. 2551
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MakeHealthyHppn
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/MakeHealthyHppn
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/makehealthyhppn/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/MAKEHEALTHYHAPPEN